Within the framework of the competition the “National Teacher Prize” initiated and organized by the Coalition "Education for All - Georgia" and the TPDC, the five finalists have been declared, one of whom will become the first winner of the National Teacher Prize on 5 October, the World Teacher’s Day and additionally will receive the cash prize, 10 000 GEL from the main sponsor of the campaign – Ina Gudavadze- Patarkatsishvili. The other four finalists will receive the prizes from Liberty Bank.
The finalists of the National Teacher Prize are:
- Eka Tsulukidze - Teacher of Georgian Language and Literature in Public School of village Fari, Mestia Municipality.
- Natia Purtseladze - Teacher of Georgian Language and Literature in Tbilisi Private School "Korali".
- Nino Abuladze - Teacher of History in Tbilisi Public School # 43.
- Vladimer Afkhazava – Teacher of Civil Education/special teacher in Public School of Village Chibati, Lanchkhuti Municipality.
- Thea Nonikashvili - Teacher of Biology / Natural Sciences in Public School of Village Khidistavi, Gori Municipality.
The " National Teacher Prize" was introduced based on the Memorandum of Understanding between the Coalition "Education for All – Georgia," the National Center for Teacher Professional Development and the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia signed on May 13, 2017. This is the first time initiative in Georgia and it is a part of the global campaign - "The Global Teacher Prize" aimed at promoting teachers.
The selection competition included 114 teachers and the finalists were selected by the jury composed of the representatives of the education field and community.
In addition to Ina Gudavadze-Patarkatsishvili and Liberty Bank, the project is supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia, the Public Broadcaster and the Imedi TV.
The "National Teacher Prize" aims at identifying successful teachers, introducing them to the public and thus increasing the prestige of the profession.